Did you just get a short haircut and now finding yourself regretting it? Luckily for you, there are lots of ways to encourage it to grow fast, healthy, and strong. Massaging your scalp or applying special hair treatments are both good bets. Eating a healthy, well-balanced diet can also help encourage your hair to grow. Most importantly, however, make sure that you take good care of your hair to prevent damage from occurring. Damaged, unhealthy hair tends to break, which won’t help at all if you’re trying to grow it out!
1.Trying Scalp and Hair Treatments
Massage your scalp. Massaging any part of your body improves circulation by increasing blood flow to the area, and your scalp is no exception. When you massage your scalp, the increased blood flow stimulates your hair follicles to grow. Scalp massage is a simple and easy technique for helping your hair grow in healthy and fast.
- Try massaging your scalp every time you take a shower. Use the tips of your fingers to gently rub your scalp in a circular motion. Be sure to cover the front, back and sides of your head.
- Repeat the process as much as you like. It has the added benefit of reducing tension and helping you feel calm.
2. Rub your scalp with essential oils.
- Certain essential oils have been shown to help stimulate new hair growth. Increase the benefits of your scalp massage by working in a small amount of essential oil. Pour five to ten drops of oil over your fingertips and massage the oil all over your scalp. Try one of these essential oils:
- Peppermint, which improves circulation.
- Tea tree oil, which soothes the scalp and helps improve dandruff.
- Lemon oil, which promotes healthy hair growth.
3. Do an oil conditioning treatment.
This serves the dual purpose of helping promote hair growth and keeping the hair you have strong and soft. Coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil and castor oil are all thought to help hair grow in thick and strong. To do a conditioning treatment, follow these steps:
- For olive oil, have damp hair and distribute it throughout your hair. Then flip your head upside down and massage your scalp for 2-3 minutes.
- Wet your hair and massage one to two tablespoons of oil into your scalp for five minutes.
- Run your fingers through your hair to distribute the oil from your roots to the tips of your hair. You can also use a wide-tooth comb.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and let the oil soak in for one to two hours.
- Shampoo your hair as normal. You may have to wash it twice to remove excess oil.
4. Make a restorative hair mask.
If your hair is dry or thin, treating it with a nutritious mask can help restore its luster. A restorative hair mask may not help your hair grow quickly, but by protecting the hair you have, it will keep you from having to trim off split ends and take a step backward on your journey to having longer hair. Here’s how to make a hair mask:
- Crack one egg into a bowl and beat it lightly.
- Mix in two tablespoons of plain yogurt and one tablespoon of honey.
- Apply to wet hair and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair as normal to wash out the mask.
5. Know what not to use on your hair.
When your goal is to grow your hair out fast, it’s important to pay attention to the products you use. Many products contain chemicals that can damage your hair and cause it to be dry and brittle. Aim to use products that are composed of mainly natural ingredients. Avoid products that contain the following:
- Sulfates: found in shampoo, these are harsh cleansers that strip your hair of natural oils and dry it out.
- Silicones: found in conditioner, these build up in your hair and cause it to look weighed down and dull.
- Alcohols: found in hairspray, gel and other styling products, these dry out your hair and cause it to get brittle.